Who Practices Play Therapy?

The practice of play therapy requires specialized education, training and experience. A play therapist is a licensed (or certified) mental health professional who has earned a master's or doctorate degree in a mental health field, and who has gained considerable general clinical experience and supervision.

The Association for Play Therapy was established in 1982 to advance the goals of play therapy, and to register as play therapists those licensed mental health professionals who meet educational, experiential, and supervision standards. With advanced specialized training, experience, and supervision mental health professionals may earn the Registered Play Therapist (RPT) or Registered Play Therapist Supervisor (RPT-S) credentials conferred by the Association for Play Therapy, Inc. (APT). For more information regarding credentialing please visit www.a4pt.org

By Jean Camberg, MSW, LCSW, RPT-S